Thursday, March 4, 2010

What a difference a day makes...

The weather is still completely bonkers! We survive Monday's storm, enjoyed the touch of Spring in the air Tuesday, yesterday was warm and cloudy and today I get up to ...SNOW! Which doesn't surprise me at all. The Maine Fishermen's Forum starts today and if we don't have a screaming snowstorm it's just not a good year at all. Many are the times the Captain drove us home through a storm that generally included"white outs". The 35th Maine Fishermen's Forum is held at the Samoset Resort in Rockport Maine. Lots of chances to connect with people and always a very informative time. Here is the link if you want to check it out: http://www.mainefishermensforum.org/.


Still dealing with the aftermath of the boat fire. Every time the Captain goes out to his boat, he comes back home looking like Michael Jackson going in reverse. He is covered in soot from head to toe. Soot is showing up in the oddest places. He leaves piles of nasty clothes all over the place and doesn't turn his sweaters, etc to right side out. Pet Peeve! Nasty clothes that have to be turned. I don't wanna, I don't have to and I'm NOT going to! If they are still nasty after they have been washed, not my problem.

Did I mention the day of the fire my sweetie was nice enough to bring me some shrimp home to pick for the freezer. Fifty friggin' pounds of the little beasties! Nothing like waking up to fifty lbs of shrimp needing to be picked. Not the best way to start the day. Of course the Captain has to get his vessel sorted out so no help from that quarter. My brother the self proclaimed "Shrimp Picking God" is not around either. It has to be done regardless, so my spleeny nieces proceed to help me. One whines the whole time about the shrimp being slippery, plus the whole time the air is punctuated with screams of agony if she happens to get stuck by one of them. Now bear in mind 50 lbs of shrimp is THOUSANDS of the little guys. I turn the music up. The other niece a quite and a good sport. She giggles at her sister's outbursts and rolls her eyes at at the antics we are privy to. Hours later we are finished and the winer never wants to see another shrimp again. "Oh, didn't I tell you? We are having shrimp for dinner.", I tell her sweetly...the girl will make a fine actress some day.

As I said earlier, today is snow. They have a saying in Maine, "that if you want the weather to change just wait fifteen minutes. " Truer words were never spoken. I curse the weather gods. On days like this it just doesn't pay to chew through the restraints. The wind has picked up again and the Captain is pacing. He notices it himself for a change and points it out to me. I think, "look honey I figured that out 20 minutes ago!" The Captain doesn't do "sit" well and I don't do the pacing well. One of the great impasses of our relationship. I just can't seem to figure out his laid back, type A personality. An oxymoron at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment